Monday, December 5, 2011

Ginger Bread Nauvoo Temple

Tonight our Christmas countdown activity was to construct a ginger bread temple. We decided to try to create the Nauvoo Temple. Ever since we took the three oldest of our children to Nauvoo this summer, they have all somewhat adopted it as their own. :) Anyway - TADA - our version of the Nauvoo Temple in candy! This is the first time I really tried this, and while pretty difficult (for me at least) it was a lot of fun! The kids enjoyed helping even though it took regular reminders to the little ones that using a gentle hand was key! The older ones suggested covering the whole structure in the royal icing to make it look more realistic. It seemed like a good idea until I realized that the graham cracker was soaking up the moisture in the icing which made things sag a little. I had to change out a few crackers and use less to coat it, but in the end, we were all pleased! Thank you, Meg, for the royal icing recipe!

1 comment: