Much to my dismay, it is looking more and more like my little boy will need to have his tonsils out in the next few months. This week, I took him to a pediatric ENT to see if the size of his tonsils, some hearing loss and his biannual strep throat would result in the surgery. Surprisingly, the doctor would like him to have them out for different reasons. Nowadays, children are having their tonsils out for sleep related reasons in addition to sickness. We went through a list of questions related to night sweating, snoring, how difficult he is to wake in the morning, etc. I did some research on the internet because I am so worried about putting my little boy under general anesthesia not to mention the large amount of pain and recovery he will have to go through. He has failed a few of his hearing tests, and I found out that swelled adenoids can contribute to intermittent hearing loss. In addition, Isaac does suffer from many colds, sore throats and allergy issues throughout the year. All of these can be attributed to his very large tonsils.Before I let my imagination run wild regarding the risks, and I need to stop and remember how grateful I should be that I am worrying over a routine, simple surgery without any lasting implications. I also want him to have a healthy life and not suffer from reoccurring sickness, intermittent hearing loss, etc. Now on to scheduling a day...
Poor Kid!
ReplyDelete